Cholesterol is a by-product of the body’s immune system. Cholesterol is involved in the production of enzymes and hormones. However, high blood pressure can have serious health consequences.
Atherosclerosis and its consequences are the result of heart failure, stroke, high density lipoprotein (HDL) and low density lipoprotein (LDL) imbalances.
HDL is commonly called “good” cholesterol. With moderate exercise, LDL, which is produced by the body, helps to reduce the amount of food that goes into the body with food alone.
To restore cholesterol levels, a special diet has been developed. The benefits can be used not only as a tool to treat the current problem but also for preventive purposes. At the same time, you get a completely different daily diet.one.
For medical purposes, a high cholesterol diet can only be prescribed by a gastroenterologist or dietitian. Also, products are made individually, which should be avoided taking into account the health characteristics of each person.
What can happen to a high cholesterol diet?
Since the main goal of the diet is to regulate lipid metabolism and lose weight, the main principle of the diet is to reduce the intake of animal fats and simple carbohydrates.2.
Priority should be given to polyunsaturated fats, fiber, protein and complex carbohydrates.
All of this can be found in the list of licensed products:
- Meat (veal, chicken, turkey, rabbit);
- Fish and eggs;
- Vegetables (eggs, zucchini, all kinds of cabbage, beans, pumpkin, celery, pumpkin, pumpkin, tomatoes, carrots, onions, herbs);
- All kinds of grains, including soybeans;
- Fruits, berries (avocado, pomegranate, lemon, pear, apple);
- Legumes (buckwheat, millet, quinoa);
- Bread dairy products (no more than 30 grams of hard cheese, low-fat cottage cheese, tofu);
- Nuts and seeds (flax seeds, fenugreek seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds);
- Vegetable oils.
What not to do on a high cholesterol diet
In modern medical practice, it is possible to find specialists who have a negative view of strict dietary restrictions. Many strive to create an individual, complete and varied diet.
However, there is a list of prohibited foods and it includes the following
- Meat (pork, duck, pork);
- Thick fish, canned fish;
- Cereals and pasta (semolina, white rice);
- Stored meat soups;
- Baking Rich, Puff;
- Sweets (industrial cakes, sweets, jam);
- Dairy products (fatty cheese and cottage cheese, cream, sour cream and fatty ice cream, butter);
- Refined vegetable oil and margarine;
- Fruits and dried fruits (bananas, raisins);
- Sweet carbonated drinks, lemon;
- Industrial mayonnaise, ketchup and palm oil products.
Beef, red fish, potatoes, nuts and egg yolks are allowed, but only to a limited extent3.
A week-long menu with recipes for a high-cholesterol diet
Day # 1
Breakfast Protein omelette, fresh vegetable salad, green tea with lemon;
Dinner Lentil cream soup with pumpkin, buckwheat bread with cottage cheese, herbs and fresh cucumbers;
Dinner Boiled fish cakes, baked vegetables mixed with olive oil.
Lentil Pumpkin Soup Recipe:
- Lentils – 300 g .;
- Pumpkin – 200 g .;
- Carrots – 2 pcs .;
- Onions – 1 pc .;
- Garlic – 2 cloves;
- Salt, spices – to taste;
- Chopped greens – to serve;
- Lemon – to serve;
- Olive oil to serve.
- Peel a squash, grate it and prepare the soup.
- Add the washed lentils to the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and spices as desired.
- When the lentils and vegetables are fully cooked, remove from the heat and strain the broth.
- Serve the soup with a slice of lemon and two drops of olive oil.
Day # 2
Breakfast Oatmeal on water with fried berries, avocado and cheese;
Dinner Sauerkraut with chicken broth, boiled chicken breast, linseed oil and herbs;
Dinner Roasted zander fillet, salad with broccoli, green beans and fresh cucumber with sesame oil.
Day # 3
Breakfast chickpea omelet with mushrooms and fresh tomatoes, chicory with vegetable milk;
Dinner Baked turkey roast, vegetable stew, bread;
Dinner zucchini waffles with sesame paste and pomegranate seeds, salad with herbs, beans and sweet pepper with olive oil.
Chicken Omelet Recipe:
- Chicken flour – 100 g;
- Water or vegetable milk – 150 ml;
- Onion – half;
- Fresh tomatoes – 1 pc .;
- Fresh mushrooms – 100 g;
- Salt, spices – to taste.
- Fry the onion until golden.
- Combine chopped tomatoes and mushrooms with onion and sauté over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Combine onion flour, water and spices. Beat with a fork until smooth.
- Pour the onion mixture over the vegetables and cook for 10 minutes with the lid closed. It can be baked in a hot oven.
Breakfast Homemade granola low-fat natural yogurt, cheese fries, green tea;
Dinner Borch with light meat soup, fresh cabbage and carrot salad;
Dinner Boiled chicken pieces with fried potatoes, carrots and green beans.
Day # 5
Breakfast Carrot-apple pancakes, almond yogurt, herbal tea;
Dinner Pollock with vegetable and tomato juice, fresh herbs, bread;
Dinner Salad with seafood and fresh vegetables, a glass of vegetable juice.
Carrot and Apple Fry Recipe;
- Carrots – 2 pcs .;
- Apple – 1 pc .;
- Eggs – 1 pc .;
- Spell flour – 2 tablespoons;
- Vanilla, Cinnamon – to taste.
- Peel a squash, grate it and squeeze the juice. Peel a squash, grate it and squeeze the juice.
- Add eggs.
- Add flour and spices as desired. Boil the flour.
- Bake the pancakes over medium heat under medium heat on both sides.
Day # 6
Breakfast Flax porridge with berries, coffee with milk, boiled egg;
Dinner Vegetable soup beans, baked pike pieces, fresh cucumbers;
Dinner Diet Turkish sausage, boiled Brussels sprouts, fresh tomatoes.
Day # 7
Breakfast Baked apples in tofu, cocoa with vegetable milk; Dinner Fish soup, salad with radish, fresh cabbage and cucumber; Dinner Chicken breast baked with cauliflower, carrots and broccoli, chilled berry tea with mint.
Baked Apples Recipe with Tofu
- Apple – 5 pieces;
- Tofu – 100 g;
- Dried apricots – 4/5 pcs .;
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp;
- Vanillin – an alternative.
- Wash the apples, cut off the top, remove the core.
- Soak the dried apricots in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Grind the tofu with a fork, add lemon juice and vanilla.
- Cut the dried apricots and add to the tofu.
- Heat the apples and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 25 minutes.
You can get good results by adhering to the dietary guidelines jointly with your gastroenterologist, nutritionist.
After one month you may notice the following changes in your body:
- Weight loss;
- Normalizing blood cholesterol levels;
- Normalization of blood pressure;
- Avoidance of heart attack;
- Avoiding constipation
By following simple dietary guidelines, you can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease and improve your overall quality of life.
The rules for high cholesterol are simple, helpful, and you can make a variety of weekly menus without feeling overwhelmed.
Reviews of nutritionists
Cholesterol is important for every cell in the body, but it is also important not to overdo it. With the help of dietary correction, we can significantly improve the prognosis of cardiovascular patients and reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Cholesterol itself is not an enemy and does not lead to the development of atherosclerosis, for which there are two additional reasons: inflammation and damage to the vascular endothelium.
“With this diet you can easily lose weight and reduce chronic inflammation,” he said. Integrative and preventive medicine specialist, therapist, nutritionist Nadezhda Ivanova.
- Rudchenko IV, Tyrenko VV, Kachnov VA Nutrition is one of the most important factors in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases caused by atherosclerosis // KVTiP. 2020. No. 3. https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/pitanie-odin-iz-vazhnyh-faktorov-profilaktiki-i-lecheniya-serdechno-sosudistyh-zabolevaniy-obuslovlennyh-aterosklerozom
- Chulkov VS, Sineglazova AV, Konashov VA, Sedova AD, Fink AE Current Views on the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease (Review of Modern Recommendations) // Modern Clinical Medicine Bulletin. 2021. No. 6. https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/aktualnyy-vzglyad-na-pervichnuyu-profilaktiku-serdechno-sosudistyh-zabolevaniy-obzor-sovremennyh-rekomendatsiy
- The role of nutrition in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases Smetneva NS, Pogozheva AV, Vasiliev Yu.L., Dydykin SS, Dydykina IS, Kovalenko AA. 2020. No. 3. https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/rol-optimalnogo-pitaniya-v-profilaktike-serdechno-sosudistyh-zabolevaniy